Pages

Friday, February 10, 2012

The Joys of Running Out of Money... Already!


So three weeks have gone by since my arrival to Sicily, and I’m already down to my last 50 Euro.  I know what you’re probably thinking… ‘How could someone blow through so much money so quickly!?!’  Well, the answer to that is simple: my bank cancelled my debit card due to a fraud warning.  This is understandable seeing as I live in America, am in Italy, and my latest purchase would be from Italy.  Therefore, they would think some person in Italy is using my card.  However, before I left, I made sure to call the company to inform them I was going abroad!  This person in Italy using my card is, well, ME!  So I have money in the bank, but no means to access it.  Hopefully the new card I requested will come soon, but with the notorious Italian postal system, lord knows when that will be here.  So note to future study abroaders: MAKE SURE YOUR DEBIT/CREDIT CARD COMPANY KNOWS YOU ARE GOING ABROAD!

In other news, another mostly uninteresting week.  Most of my time out of class was devoted to either homework or internship essays.  At least the weather is getting better.  And now that I’m finished with these applications, I should be free to do whatever I want almost whenever I want!  In black and white photography, we developed our first roll of film and made our first prints.  I printed a picture of the sea during the storm last week.  The waves were violently crashing against the rocks.  I’m really excited to see what else will come of that class!

In Italian class on Wednesday, we went to the Syracuse open-air market for a challenge.  Which team could stretch the value of 5 Euros, and which team could find the most bizarre thing at the market.  While the practical use to stretch 5 Euros would be to get a whole lot of tiny, knick-knacks and such, our team purchased 5 Euros worth of potatoes… nearly 22 pounds (thanks Evan and Nate).  Because of the surplus of potatoes, the 13 of us got together last night and had a hodge-podge of potatoes: chips, mashed, home fries, hash brown, etc.  To finish, here are some pictures of non-potato things I have seen around:
                                              Another gorgeous sunset over Ortigia
                                         
                                                    Moon over the Mediterranean
                                                             My crab friend!

No comments:

Post a Comment